AIDS: Scary Facts And How To Prevent
Acquired Immuno Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) is caused by Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV), is a spectrum of conditions due to the compromised immunity leading to wide variety of infections throughout the body.
Here are some scary facts of AIDS you show know
- 40 million people are infected with AIDS in the whole world
- HIV is primarily spread through Unprotected sex with HIV positives, sharing needles, transmission of HIV from mother to child and blood transfusion
- AIDS can also be spread through contaminated surgical instruments in hospitals, where special care is not taken. So, as a patient, you may not have the idea that you can acquire HIV infection from hospital instruments.
- HIV on entering our body, get attached with a type of sugar molecule, camouflaging from the immune system that it is a nutrient. Thus, immune system cannot kill it.
- There is no definite cure. Although there are drugs which can be tried.
How To Prevent From Getting HIV
- Test yourself regularly and take treatment for sexually transmitted infections, including HIV to prevent onward transmission. Have regular tests.
- Avoid injecting drugs, or if you do, always use sterile needles and syringes.
- Test the blood before transfusion. Check the certificates or result by yourself.
- If you have HIV start Anti Retroviral Therapy (ART) as soon as possible for your own health and to prevent HIV transmission to your sexual or drug using partner or to your infant (if you are pregnant or breastfeeding).
- Use pre-exposure prophylaxis prior to engaging in high risk behaviour. Talk to the doctor and take post-exposure prophylaxis if you think that you might get HIV from anything you have done.
- Always use condom. It can save you from HIV even if you had sex with the HIV positives
DO NOT WORRY IF YOU GET POSITIVE RESULT. THE TREATMENT PLAN OF THERAPY IS MUCH EFFECTIVE THAN BEFORE